If you've been following me on Facebook or Twitter, you've probably heard me mention creativeLIVE more than a few times. If you don't know what creativeLIVE is, I promise that you are missing out. I'd say my upcoming appearance on CL is one of my biggest career accomplishments to date... and I am nearly exploding with excitement!
creativeLIVE is a FREE photographic education resource. The team at creativeLIVE bring some of the best photographers in the industry to teach 2-3 day courses that are livestreamed for you to watch, completely free. During the workshops from 9-4 (PST) these teachers are livestreamed internationally so you can watch, learn and even ask questions (through FB, Twitter, and more). Topics vary on everything from workflow, to lighting, posing and more. Previous teachers have included Jasmine Star, Bambi Cantrell, Zack Arias, Sue Bryce and more! The teachers pour their hearts and minds out for you all to learn!
How do they make money, you ask? If you want to purchase the ability to re-watch these classes in the future, they are usually$99 to purchase during the livestream and $149 thereafter. But just to sign up and watch there is zero cost during the actual livestream.
So now for the big news... my creativeLIVE classes!
I am teaching two creativeLIVE classes. My first class is Social Networking Essentials for photographers May 30th (I'll be addressing this more in the future). The 'big one' is "Fashion Flair for Portrait and Wedding Photographers". I can promise you nothing short of an epic class PACKED with information. I've been planning and working on this class for months, and I am ready to wow you.
You don't become a photographer to become rich, or to do what is typical. You become a photographer because it is your passion and you have a vision. Stand out from the crowd. Ditch the ordinary... embrace the extraordinary! This workshop will encourage you to channel your creativity and do something unexpected.
As a fashion photographer, I regularly utilize an arsenal of tools to make my work stand out. Locations, hair and makeup, wardrobe, concepts, story-telling, creative lighting, props, creative retouching and more are ALL elements I regularly use in my fashion work. In this 3-day intensive workshop I will be teaching you how to infuse the concepts of fashion photography into your portrait and wedding work.
This workshop is not for people who aspire to become fashion photographers (although I'm sure they could learn something too!). Instead, this is for portrait and wedding photographers that want to take their work to the next level!
Here are some topics we will cover:
- Idea generation/inspiration
- Executing a fashion flair shoot, gathering your creative team
- Creative in-camera effects
- Elements of Fashion Flair
- Creative Studio Lighting
- Social networking and fashion flair
- Creative Retouching techniques
- Fashion Flair in Action!
- Equipment and technicals
Finally, I have created a Lindsay Adler & creativeLIVE facebook group. This facebook group is meant to serve a number of purposes.
1. Send me your questions and what you'd like to see in my class! I've already incorporated a variety of your suggestions! You all wanted to know where I get my ideas... DONE! You wanted to know some creative lighting techniques? DONE!
2. When the class is happening, feel free to discuss, ask each other questions and build a community.
3. I will be running a variety of competitions with FANTASTIC PRIZES before, during and after my creativeLIVE workshop. I'll have prizes from: LiveBooks, Datacolor, Lensbaby, Sigma, Broncolor, California Sunbounce, Imagenomics Portraiture, Nik Software, OnOne Software, DropIt Modern, Kelly Moore Bags, After Dark... and tons more during my workshop and also through my FB group/blog competitions!!! I'll be posting more about these competitions soon, but I already have one launched... feel free to get started!!!
In anticipation of my creativeLIVE class, I want to get your creative juices flowing! I’ve planned out a few fun competitions to get you thinking outside of the box and to really engage with the class. First, let me introduce some pre-conference competitions and their prizes. I want you to start thinking of ideas, questions and get ready to break the rules.
Below are your missions, if you choose to accept them. In order to succeed you must think outside the box. You must push your creative boundaries. You must WOW me!
When watching Fashion Flair for Portrait and Wedding Photographers... don't just stop at watching. You must do! You must put what you've learned into action... not only will you improve your portfolio and refine your creative vision... you can also win great prizes!
The winners for the pre-conference competition will be aired on creativeLIVE during my workshop! I will also post winner’s on my blog for all to see!
In Fashion Flair you'll learn how to take the concepts of fashion photography and apply them to your portrait and wedding work. Lighting, props, post-processing, concept, styling, hair & makeup, and more.
Let's start with challenging you to use a basic prop:
Competition #1: Lace
Use a piece of lace in a unique way. Any way you want, on any subject you want. Submit your image to this Facebook page or Flickr group. There are no rules... Just wow me. Don't be typical. Excite me! You can get lace at a fabric shop, online, ebay, etc. Lets just do something gorgeous with it. Lace has been used a million times before-- so what can you do thats different or how can you use it to make a stunning image for you and your clients.
Deadline: May 29
Prize: IMAGENOMICS Portraiture Retouching Software (its awesome)
Competition #2: Avant Garde Helmet
Its always great to have creative props and accessories around the studio. I love having crazy ‘fashion pieces’ like helmets, sunglasses, hats and more. One of my iconic images is simply crazy glasses and red lips. For creativeLIVE, I invite you to be inspired a make an amazing helmet that will serve as a stunning centerpiece to a beauty/fashion image (great for model portfolios, high school seniors, musicians and more).
I will shoot my favorite pieces during creativeLIVE. PLUS, if your designs are impressive enough, I will even use them in a REAL fashion editorial to run in a high-end fashion magazine!
Here’s what to do:
1. Purchase this inexpensive helmet:
2. Go nuts! Bedazzle it. Add spikes. Paint it. Add fringe. Do whatever your heart desires!
3. Mail this helmet to creativeLIVE.
Attn: Lindsay Adler Shoot
757 Thomas Street
Seattle, WA 98109
Note pieces will not be returned.
PS: Feel free to send in other props as well if you want! Sunglasses, headpieces, and more! Just remember, the competition is only for these helmets!
PRIZE: Admission to After Dark Kansas City (Value $500), 16x24 Miller’s Print Wrap
Deadline: Received by May 29
Check out what I've been working on so far! These are my ideas! VERY much works in progress. 😀
Competition #3: Graphic Location
Find a location with strong graphic elements, and shoot it! This image should be dynamic and the graphic shapes of the environment should be central to the photograph! Also, don't forget that you can even composite images if you want... all that matters is the final product!
Prize: Fashion Flair for Portrait and Wedding Photography (book), Creative Studio Lighting DVD with Lindsay Adler
Deadline: May 29
1. Images MUST be taken between April 1 - May 20
2. Images MUST NOT be boring or typical.
3. You must have a model release for your images. Can be men, women, children, or couple.
4. Images should be sized between 800 x 800px, 72dpi with no watermark.
5. Post to Lindsay Adler's Flickr Group/Facebook group at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/lindsayadler/, http://www.facebook.com/groups/creativeLIVE.Adler/ With you submissions please include which competition you are entering, your name, and some way to contact you. OR you can email me at Adler.creativeLIVE@gmail.com
Please watch in the near future for information on the competitions DURING and AFTER the creativeLIVE workshops! More great Prizes!